Holiday Hair Fail

Friday, November 04, 2016


Prior to my holiday, I decided to get a protective style done so that whilst on holiday I didn't have to worry about styling my hair and put myself through the constant washing and conditioning my hair.

I decided on Marley twists and booked an appointment at a local hair salon for Friday 23rd September which would give me three weeks before my holiday to get used to my hair and give it time to loosen up so I could style it once I was away.

My appointment was for 4.30pm but as what seems to be standard procedure from when I used to go to the salon back in the day, my hair didn't get started until 5.30pm as there were other ladies in the salon which the hairdresser had to finish off first. 

I wanted my hair to be lightweight and didn't want my twists to be too long or the twists too thick as I wanted to be able to put my hair up in a ponytail or bun when I go too hot etc. I had two ladies doing my hair and I was finished within 3 hours which I was pleased about and I loved how my hair turned out considering they didn't listen to me as my twists were waist length and I felt like I had a thousand twists in my head. They sealed the ends of my twists by soaking them in boiling hot water and I made sure to keep an eye to ensure my actual hair was nowhere near the water. They thought I was strange to which I told them I was not willing to damage my real hair just to seal my twists.



When I got home that evening, I liberally spritzed my hair with water and leave in conditioner then sealed with my Doo Gro Shine & Polish mist, covered with a satin bonnet and relaxed for the evening. The next morning when I woke up my head felt sooo heavy it was unreal and my scalp felt like it was on fire but to ease the pressure I spritzed with water again and oiled my scalp with my castor oil mix. Sunday, my hair felt a bit better but I couldn't help wondering how I was going to cope with so much hair on my head in the heat but I kept telling myself that by time it got to flying off on holiday I'd be used to the twists and all would be well.




For work, I had to spritz with water and leave in conditioner to relieve my scalp and prayed for the best. I'm surprised I managed to get through the day as my scalp was not happy with the amount of hair on my head nor did it seem to like the hair I was using as my scalp was becoming more and more irritated as the week went on. 



By Friday (30th September) morning, I knew that once I finished work I'd be going home to take out my hair. My scalp felt like it was constantly on fire, it was itching like crazy and where I gave in and was itching like a mad woman, my scalp was so sore where I had broken through the skin with my nails.

As soon as I got home and changed out of my work clothes, I began to take out my hair and it was all out within the hour and I felt the instant relief on my scalp. Once out, I oiled my scalp and pre-pooed over night with extra virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil and washed my hair the next evening.

Luckily by oiling my scalp every day and keeping my hairstyles loose, my scalp was back to its normal self within 2-3 days. I think it is safe to say, I won't be putting myself or my scalp through that again.


Tell me I'm not the only person who has experienced this?



You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Oh DeOnne you certainly are not alone in the matter. I made myself a promise never to braid again.... I trust you enjoyed your holiday despite the hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on that promise. My scalp has never felt so bad. I had a lovely holiday though, luckily my scalp was back to normal within a few days once they were out.

      Delete
  2. They recommend that you rinse the hair with shampoo/con or diluted apple cider vinegar before installation. They chemicals they use to treat the hair probably caused a lot of irritation for your scalp.

    ReplyDelete

The Healthy Hair Diary 2016. Powered by Blogger.