My Favourite Oils: Coconut Oil

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Coconut Oil


Coconut oil is another one of my favourites and staple oils used on my relaxed hair.

Coconut oil is a very popular oil, being on of the best natural nutrients for hair and has many benefits for black and textured hair. It has been known to restore natural moisture resulting in healthy, shiny hair. 

Studies have shown that coconut oil has the ability to penetrate the hair shaft; working its way through all layers of the hair strand. It is effective in reducing the protein loss for damaged and undamaged hair. Other than keeping your hair healthy and shiny, coconut oil has a lot of other benefits as well.





How do I use it?

I have tried to use coconut oil to seal my hair after moisturising but my hair hated it. With our unpredictable cold and wet weather, my hair would be left feeling hard and dry.  

I alternate between using just pure coconut oil or coconut oil mixed with other oils as a pre-poo for my hair before going on to shampoo or co-wash my hair. 

I haven't yet tried it, but some ladies deep condition with Coconut oil. Heat the oil and then apply the warm oil to your hair, focusing on the ends and lengths of your hair but avoiding your roots and and scalp to avoid greasy weighed down hair. 

Although I had a bad experience with coconut oil when it came to sealing my hair, I love using this oil as a pre-poo and it will continue to be my pre-poo staple.

When I first started my hair journey, I didn't realise I could get it from my local shop so went to the health store Holland & Barrett and spent £6.99 on coconut oil. Not again!! 

I now purchase my coconut oil from my local Halal superstore and I buy it for £1.99 and it lasts for quite a few months. 


Other benefits of coconut oil:


  • Excellent moisturiser for your skin, it is said to it also delays wrinkles, and sagging of the skin which normally become prominent with age. 
  • Helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
  • Can aid with weight loss.
  • Use it to cook and bake with, and because it’s saturated, it’s the safest oil to use at high temperatures. 
QUICK TIP: 
If you ever run out of shaving gel or don't like using shaving gel due to sensitivity or personal preference then try using coconut oil. It leaves your skin feeling so soft and you'll never want to use shaving gel again....

How do you use coconut oil?

De'Onne x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Healthy Hair Diary 2016. Powered by Blogger.