Wash Day Diary - Hard Protein Treatment with Egg . 4 Wks Post

Wednesday, April 23, 2014


23rd April 2014


After my corrective relaxer 4 weeks ago, I thought it was time to try a hard protein treatment on my hair. I do a light protein treatment on my hair every other week using ORS Hair Mayonnaise or ORS Replenishing Conditioner but since doing my own hair and not relying on salons, I haven't had any hard protein treatments in a very long time. 

I have read many blogs with those using egg as a protein treatment but was nervous to try it as I also read many horror stories with egg cooking in the hair and being impossible to wash out but today I decided to go for it.

These are the steps I followed: 



I washed my hair with Creme of Nature Argan Shampoo.




Using my hair mix bowl, I added one egg and mixed with 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and Tresemme Moisture Rich conditioner. I used enough conditioner to cover the egg and then mixed to bring the ingredients together into a creamy texture. The consistency was quite runny so I applied this to my towel dried hair in 4 sections liberally whilst leaning over the sink. I covered my hair with a plastic cap and let it sit on my hair for 20 minutes.


I rinsed my hair with cool water to avoid the egg leaving any residue in my hair. My hair felt strong but like straw but this didn't worry me as I needed to DC (deep condition) using a moisturising conditioner. I rinsed my mix bowl and then mixed CON (creme of nature) Argan Conditioning Treatment mixed with a few drops of olive oil. I applied this to my hair and covered with a plastic cap and my hair therapy wrap for 40 mins.






When I rinsed out the conditioner, my hair didn't feel as soft as I was expecting, given how my soft and silky my hair usually feels after using Creme of Nature Argan Shampoo. I didn't want to DC again so instead  I opted for a hot oil treatment. I boiled the kettle and warmed up my African Royale Hot 6 Oil and then applied to my hair in 4 sections. I covered my hair with a plastic cap and used heat with my hair therapy wrap for 20 mins and prayed for the best.



I rinsed my hair and was pleased with the results. My hair felt unbelievably strong and the Hot 6 oil definitely did the trick in putting back in the moisture and giving my hair the needed slip it was missing after my moisturising DC. 



After T-shirt drying for 30 mins. I applied Herbal Essences Split End Protector Cream on my ends only, I then applied a dime size of Shea Moisture Growth Thickening Milk throughout my hair followed by one squirt of Keracare Leave In conditioner before detangling my hair with a wide teeth comb. Once detangled, I separated my hair into 4 and applied S-Curl to each section.



Instead of doing the LOC method, I applied Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Growth Moisturizer and sealed with Avocado oil before blow drying each section with cold air.

I am so glad I decided to try this as my hair feels so much stronger and possibly even a little thicker. I will be incorporating the Egg Protein Treatment into my hair regime, and whilst I'll aim to do this once a month, it will be determined by knowing how my hair feels and when it needs a hard treatment considering I do a light protein treatment once a fortnight so I may find myself only needing to do a hard protein treatment once every 8 weeks or so but I will figure it out as I go along. 


You may have noticed that I skipped my usual pre-poo for this wash day, I'm not even sure why I skipped pre-pooing other than being aware of the time and the many other things I still had to get done after work before I could relax. It got me thinking as to how my hair felt after washing out my moisturising DC and my hair still feeling straw-like. Would it of felt like that had I prepooed? This is what I intend to find out when my next hard protein treatment is due.

Have you tried egg as a protein treatment? If so, how have you found it?



De’Onne x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Healthy Hair Diary 2016. Powered by Blogger.