My Favourite Oils: Avocado Oil

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

When I started my hair journey, I unintentionally became a product junkie and have found myself accumulating a lot of oils. Some have become staples whilst others I mix with other oils and mix with deep conditioners I'm also not won over by and am using up never to buy again. 


I use my favourite oils to moisturise my skin, pre-poo my hair, mix with deep conditioners, as a hot oil treatment and also in my homemade hair mists. 

Oil's have the ability to soften and condition and when used on your hair provides a hydrating effect. Different oils are best used for different things when used on your hair depending on the needs of your hair. It's always good to remember that with oil, less is more to avoid making your hair feel and look greasy.

Avocado Oil
Avocado oil is one of if not my ultimate favourite oils to use on my relaxed hair.

Avocado oil is an edible oil pressed from the fruit avocado which is pretty much self explanatory. It is an excellent oil to use  on natural and relaxed hair as it contains a high amount of monounsaturated fatty acids. Avocado oil is said to contain higher fatty acids than other oils like Coconut and Grapeseed oil. It is a great oil to use in your quest to fight breakage. As well as it's higher fatty acids, avocado oil is also rich in amino acids and vitamins. Using avocado oil can improve the strength of your hair as well as making your hair shiny and more resistant to breakage.

How do I use it?

I use avocado oil mixed with other oils as a pre-poo for my hair before going on to shampoo or cowash my hair

I don't know the last time I used a deep conditioner without the addition of an oil and more often that not it's avocado oil which I predominantly use.

I mix avocado oil, olive oil and castor oil and use as my scalp oil mix, I have been using
this mix to oil my scalp for the last 4-6 months and my scalp loves it. It's also excellent for my new growth to keep it soft and manageable.

I also use avocado oil to seal my hair after moisturising and I love the way this oil makes my hair feel. I usually moisturise and seal my hair in four sections and as a little avocado oil goes a long way I just add two drops of oil for each section to avoid my hair feeling weighed down or greasy.

All in all, I love this oil and I can't see it ever not being one of my staple products.

The first time I bought avocado oil was in a hair shop and I bought it for £4.99. Once I finished that bottle, I couldn't find it in any of the hair shops so had to buy it from a health store in the UK called Holland & Barrett for £6.79 which I wasn't best pleased about. However, whilst browsing the website for another oil this morning, I have just seen that their Penny sale is back. What does this mean? For a limited time, you can buy an oil and get another one for 1p. I have just ordered two Avocado oils from their website for £6.80 instead of £13.58. Check out their website here. Bargain I say....


Do you use avocado oil?

De'Onne x


You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Healthy Hair Diary 2016. Powered by Blogger.